Friday, May 25, 2012

TRON....


I love Tron.   the movie, TRON that is.   An ahead of its time science-fiction film staring a young 1982 Jeff Bridges - I even loved the current day remake/episode 2 of the series, but seriously?......

Out on Forest Ave lies a little hole in the wall bar called Forest Gardens.   I walked in at like 10pm on a Tuesday night to find the bartender asleep on his stool.   The bell startled him as well as did the fact as i was there just to play pinball.   Its a shame a six thousand dollar machine meant for professionals goes unused.   I literally had to wipe the dust off before i played.    

Unfortunately, this pinball machine is a downer.   Like, beat you over the head, write on your face with sharpie, steal all your money and take a picture to send to your loved ones.    I'd heard that the pin was "unforgiving," but I've come to find out that this machine was actually designed to limit the game-play time, thus increasing revenue.   Its made for pros, and i'm no pro.   I like to be able to explore a game, find its rythm and tricks, but this thing was so fast and consistantly draining that i never got a chance.   Five dollars of quarters and no progress to speak of - I'll pass.



In good news, I'm glad to say that I've spent some time on this rig.   As this machine was produced just a year ago (May 2011), it has many of the new advancements that Stern has to offer.   The spinning disc shot and upper-flipper light cycle shot are really cool as is the lighting on ramps and bumpers that replicate the effects from the big screen.   Also, the sound board on the machine really hits the movie right on the head.   Catch phrases from the film show up when you hit specific shots on the table - pretty cool.


I think Stern went a bit far with the complexities of the shots.   If you had this machine in your house and were able to really figure the order, it would be a blast, but in order to progress in the game-play one has to make shots in a specific order.   For me, it was just too much  Also, the outer rails are vicious as is the kickback off the disc spinner.   It would be alright too if there was a ball-save, but there isn't, so it isn't.   Ultimately, I won't go back....not for another year of playing is under my belt and need another dose of humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment